Are Dental Fillings Right For Me?
Dental fillings are a great way to fill in crevices left on your teeth by cavities. These restorations are ideal for repairing the damage done by mild decay. Dr. Brian Tavoian uses tooth-colored fillings as part of his restorative treatment options in Cedar City, UT. Brian, as he prefers patients to address him, began his practice in 1992 and has been dedicated to providing quality, customized care ever since.
Benefits of Dental Fillings
Tooth-colored dental fillings restore damage caused by tooth decay and other dental problems. After undergoing the restorative treatment at our Cedar City dental clinic, you can benefit from:
- Long-lasting results: When properly maintained through good oral hygiene habits and regular dental visits, composite fillings can last 15 years or longer.
- A more attractive smile: With composite fillings, your restorations are virtually indistinguishable from the rest of your tooth. Many of our patients seek the tooth-colored option as a safe and longterm replacement for older metal fillings.
- Reduced sensitivity: Because composite fillings transfer heat and cold less readily than metal fillings, most patients find themselves less sensitive to hot or cold foods. Furthermore, dental fillings also protect sensitive areas of the tooth from exposure to the outside environment.
- Prevention of further dental problems: Without treatment, decay can easily spread to neighboring teeth, leaving your entire smile at risk. Dental fillings replace the decayed areas of teeth and preserve the remaining natural bone.
- Stronger tooth structure: By replacing tissue lost to decay, Brian can rebuild the structure of your tooth and ensure it stays strong.
- Relief from discomfort: Cavities can cause considerable pain, especially if it is not treated quickly. Once the decay has been removed, you can often enjoy instant relief.
Candidacy for Dental Fillings
The majority of patients in Cedar City who come to our office with mild to moderate levels of tooth decay are candidates for dental fillings. Before placing the fillings, Brian will examine your teeth while possibly taking x-rays or other forms of imaging to determine the extent of your dental decay. However, if you have advanced levels of decay, a dental crown or root canal may be a more effective treatment.
In general, candidates have:
- Moderate levels of decay
- Silver amalgam fillings that need to be replaced
- Old fillings that are coming loose
- Small chips or cracks that need to be addressed
A Look at the Procedure
Brian will place your dental fillings through two straightforward steps during a single visit at our office. If you experience dental phobia or have a hard time sitting still, Brian offers nitrous oxide and oral conscious sedation options to help you relax.
First, Brian will prep your tooth by removing all of the decay on your tooth, as well as any old fillings. The exposed tooth will then need to be carefully cleaned. Once your tooth is prepped, Brian will fill in space with the dental filling material of your choice. A special light will be used to harden the material. The last step involves testing your bite. Brian can make small adjustments as needed to ensure that your bite is comfortable.
Contact Our Office Today
Placing dental fillings is one of the most common procedures performed at our Cedar City office. The fillings can restore teeth while preventing further decay. To learn more about the benefits of dental fillings, contact our office online or call (435) 586-0123.